Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) & Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder(ADHD) are developmental in nature, and have a biological/neurological component which is often hereditary. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV) of the American Psychiatric Association has identified ADD & ADHD using five criteria:
- “A persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity that is more frequent and severe than is typically observed in individuals at a comparable level of development.”
- Some symptoms must have occurred by the age of seven
- Impairments must appear in two separate settings, i.e. home and school, etc.
- There must be clear evidence of interfering in social, academic or occupational functions
- Other mental disorders can not account for symptoms such as Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, etc.
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (CHADD) – Provides education, advocacy and support for individuals with ADHD.
4601 Presidents Drive, Suite 300
Lanham, MD 20706
Attention Deficit Disorder Association (ADDA) – Attention Deficit Disorder Association provides information, resources and networking opportunities to help adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder lead better lives.
PO Box 7557
Wilmington, DE 19803-9997
ADDA Support Groups for Adults – Virtual Peer Support Groups and Workshops.
ADDvance – Information for women and girls with ADHD.
Women and Girls with ADHD – Impact of ADHD in women, diagnosis and treatment.
Resource Guide on Students with ADHD and Section 504 – includes diagnosis, treatment options, legal requirements and ways to improve life at school and home for children diagnosed with ADHD.
ADD Warehouse – Large collection of ADHD related books, videos, training programs, games, professional texts and assessment products. Call for catalog.
300 Northwest 70th Avenue, Suite 102
Plantation, FL 33317
Living with ADD Support Website – Adult ADD/ADHD Support resources.
Fact Sheet last updated on: 4/12/2019