Finding Non-Accessible Housing

Finding Non-Accessible Housing

Not everyone needs accessible housing. Here is how to find non-accessible housing.

 MassAccess Housing Registry has been replaced by two websites:

  • Housing Navigator MA is the official online listing and search tool for accessible and affordable rental homes in Massachusetts.
  • MyMassHome is the official online listing and search tool for accessible and affordable homeownership opportunities in Massachusetts.

Q:  I thought Housing Navigator MA  and MyMassHome only helped people with physical disabilities?

A:  Housing Navigator MA  and MyMassHome   can assist persons with hidden or non-physical disabilities as well as people with physical disabilities.

For persons with physical disabilities, Housing Navigator MA  can provide:

  • lists of currently available units which have accessible or adaptable design features or are located on the ground floor or on an elevator floor
  • lists of accessible and adaptable units in the community you prefer
  • information about accessible design features such as whether the bathroom has a roll-in shower

Ways that Housing Navigator MA  can provide assistance for both persons with physical or non-physical disabilities:

  • lists of affordable housing in any Massachusetts city or town for which you are eligible including phone numbers and up-to-date contact people
  • lists of Housing Authorities which administer the Alternative Housing Voucher Program. AHVP specifically targets people with disabilities
  • information about the development and neighborhood such as availability of public transportation and how far it is to the supermarket or other amenities, so you can decide if the development makes sense for you before you fill out an application
  • information about the non-accessible and accessible housing available at any development or housing authority so you can target your housing search. For example, you can tell if there are any three bedroom units at the development, so you don’t waste your time filling out an inappropriate application.

In addition to the information directly available from the database, the Independent Living Center can help anyone with any disability to:

  • decide where to apply for housing
  • make out housing applications
  • advocate with the housing manager

The ILC can also assist consumers with other aspects of housing search and independent living in the community.

Housing Navigator MA  and MyMassHome are available at all of the ILCs.

Find your local Independent Living Center

If you believe you have been discriminated against in your housing search, you may receive assistance from the following agencies

Boston Regional Office of HUD
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
Thomas P. O’Neill, Jr.
Federal Building
10 Causeway Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02222-1092
Phone: 617-994-8200
Toll Free: 800-827-5005 or
TTY: 617-565-5453                                                                                                                                                           Email:

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination Offices

  • Boston Office
    One Ashburton Place
    6th Floor, Room 601
    Boston, MA 02108
    Phone: 617-994-6000 or 617-994-6196 (TTY)
  • Springfield Office
    436 Dwight Street
    Second Floor, Room 220
    Springfield, MA 01103
    Phone: 413-739-2145
  • Worcester Office
    484 Main St, Room 320
    Worcester, MA 01608
    Phone: 508-453-9630

Fact Sheet last updated on: 2/13/2023

Disclaimer: INDEX is pleased to provide you this information. Please note,  this information is not comprehensive, nor is it intended to take the place of professional advice. We encourage you to check other resources of such information. No endorsement by the University of Massachusetts Chan Medical School,,  INDEX, or affiliates, should be inferred. We reserve the right to remove, to modify, or to add any information at any time, for any reason, and without notice.