“Cultural competence in health care describes the ability of systems and health care professionals to provide high quality care to patients with diverse values, beliefs and behaviors, including tailoring delivery to meet patients’ social, cultural and linguistic needs.” (Source: Commonwealth Fund, Cultural Competence in Health Care Report)
Cultural Competency Resources
Considering Culture in Autism Screening Products – The MA Act Early team has developed the following materials for pediatric clinicians and community health center providers to use when conducting autism screening with children from families whose primary language is not English. These free materials may be downloaded and printed for use in practice.
Health Resources & Service Administration (HRSA) Cultural Competence Resources – A Guide for Maternal and Child Health Bureau Funded Training Programs
Disparities Solutions Center at Massachusetts General Hospital – DSC is dedicated to the development and implementation of strategies that advance policy and practice to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care.
- Improving Quality and Achieving Equity: A Guide for Hospitals (pdf) – This Guide, includes a thorough review of peer-reviewed literature, key informant interviews with hospital leaders, and case studies of innovative approaches that hospitals are undertaking to identify and address disparities, as well as to achieve equity. (Published Dec 2008)
Joint Commission Research Reports:
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient-and Family Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals (pdf)
- Video: Promoting Health Equity and Patient-Centered Care – This video features staff from the Division of Healthcare Quality Evaluation discussing Joint Commission standards and resources that advance health equity and patient centered care.
- One Size Does Not Fit All: Meeting the Health Care Needs of Diverse Populations (pdf) – Assessment tool that can be used to engage members of health organizations in discussions about the needs, resources, and goals for providing the highest quality care to every patient served.
- Resources Related to Effective Communication (pdf) – Some resources that may be helpful in learning more about effective communication and planning for and providing language services.
Reducing Disparities in Health Care – The American Medical Association offers a toolkit: Health Disparities Toolkit
“Working Together to End Racial and Ethnic Disparities: One Physician at a Time” includes tools to help physicians and medical students eliminate gaps in health care based on race and culture.
Quality Interactions – E-learning program that provides cultural competency and cross cultural training for nurses and health care staff.
Fact Sheet last updated on: 6/23/2020