If you are applying for a job that needs an online application, these tips should help you. You will need internet access and an email address.
- Learn about the company before you apply. Check the website.
- Look out for fake online applications that ask for bank accounts, credit card numbers or family info.
- Have a Portable Document Format (.pdf) cover letter for this job and resume ready to upload before you start.
- Check the job description. Make your resume fit the job. You can use keywords from the job description.
- Make sure info in the application matches what is on your resume.
- Plan on an hour to fill out most applications. Read the instructions before you begin.
- Have list of past places you worked with location, zip code and phone # ready to paste in, if needed.
- Try not to leave any blank areas.
- Review application and attachments before you hit the send button. Check for typos, blank areas and spelling mistakes. If asked to put in a salary you want, include a range. If you are not sure, put in all zeros (000.00).
- Keep a list of sites where you sent your resume.
- Some companies want you to set up a user name and password. Job agencies like to have a profile for everybody who applies on their site. Follow instructions to make your profiles. Save user names and passwords in case you need to use them again.
- Check your email to see if your application was accepted. If you were supposed to get a confirmation and you did not, contact the company’s help desk.