Contact InformationPartners for Youth With Disabilities
Contact: Deep Chinappa, Director of Outreach & Recruitment Online Mentoring Coordinator
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 617-556-4075 x x20
View Making Healthy Connections Website
95 Berkeley Street, Suite 109 Boston, MA 02116
Area Served: Boston
Map Location Making Healthy Connections
Springfield area contact: Susan Nicastro, Ph.D.
MHC Coordinator, Springfield area
Office Phone: 617-556-4075 x13
Making Healthy Connections (MHC) is a group mentoring program that empowers youth with disabilities (14 to 22 years old) to understand their health care needs, access community resources, and connect with peers. There are currently two MHC groups: one in Springfield and one in Boston. Each group meets twice monthly during the school year.
At program meetings, youth meet new friends and mentors who demonstrate how to lead active, healthy lifestyles. They also participate in skills trainings, interactive discussions, role-playing, guest speaker presentations, games, and adaptive recreational activities.
Parents of youth participants have the option of participating in MHC Parent Group meetings, which are held at the same time and location as Youth Group meetings. Parent Group meetings provide a chance for parents to connect with each other and learn more about disability-related issues and resources.
MHC participants will:
- Gain a greater understanding of their disabilities and/or special health care needs
- Build positive communication skills for use in health care settings, home, school, and the community
- Develop strategies for taking responsibility of their health care
- Learn how to access community resources to help them transition to adult health care
- Explore healthy lifestyle options in order to increase knowledge and enhance opportunities for maintenance of health
- Skills Training
- Socialization Activities
- All Disabilities
- 14 - 18
- 19 - 22
- Accessible Parking
- Accessible Restrooms
- Medical Needs
- Near Public Transportation
- Wheelchair Ramps
- Fees: Free Service, Personal Funds