Contact InformationThrive Support & Advocacy
Contact: Caitlin Devaney-Fortwengler, Director of Youth Services
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
View Youth and Young Adult Initiatives Website
65 Boston Post Road West Marlborough, MA 01752
Area Served: Central
Map Location Youth and Young Adult Initiatives
The earlier Thrive can connect with a child with developmental or intellectual disabilities and his or her family, the more significant positive impact we can have on their lives. That is the premise on which Thrive's Youth and Young Adult Initiatives are based. We work with families to identify children's needs and create dynamic and engaging solutions. Youth and Young Adult Initiatives include but are not limited to the following programs:
- TASC (Thrive After School Community): Thrive After School Community (TASC) caters to youth ages pre-school to 25, aiming to build solid social, learning, and physical skills. Activities are ever-changing to meet the interests of the participants. The program runs Tuesday through Thursday, from 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm, October through June, at Algonquin Regional High School in Northborough, MA and participants are split into age-appropriate groups. Keeping in mind that interests vary, and some want action while others prefer calm, we tailor activities to participants’ desires. Activities include (but are not limited to) cooking, arts & crafts, adaptive boot camp, computer time, exercise games, community trips. School Vacation Camp Field Trips: The trips connect young people with their peers to build social skills, create new experiences, and enjoy their vacation time. Trips include (but are not limited to) bowling, movies, trampoline park, and always include bag lunch or other lunch solution. Age appropriateness of trips vary but generally open to ages 7-25.
- Social Groups: Thrive offers a variety of social groups based on age and interests. Young adult groups include Thrive Live Studio, 18+ASD Men's Group, and Social Cooking Saturdays. Thrive Live Studio is a group where members become actors, speech-makers, poetry readers, or stand-up comics. 18+ ASD Men's Group is geared to men with high functioning autism or Aspergers who are interested in building their social networks in a safe, friendly and supportive environment. Activities are driven by group interests. Social Saturdays Cooking is for young adults 16+ who want to learn the art of cooking and other life skills while fostering new friendships, social skills, and self-esteem.
- Health and Wellness Activities: Activities include monthly Knucklebones classes, an action-packed and fun athletic program specifically geared to those with developmental and intellectual disabilities. One minute you may be playing dodgeball with squishy balls, the next you'll play freeze tag or capture the flag. All activities are geared to cooperative play with a focus on communication, social skills and creating friendships. Class runs the first Wednesday of every month. Weekly Adaptive Boot Camp Classes, geared to ages 16+ this class is a mix of low-impact cardio moves with strength training using light weights, balls, bands, and other props. All fitness levels welcome for a fun energizing workout and an opportunity to meet new friends or connect with old friends.
- LEAD (Leadership Experience And Development): Thrive’s Leadership Experience and Development (LEAD) initiative prepares and empowers prospective young leaders who live with intellectual and developmental challenges and possess the desire to better the world. Supported by LEAD staff and mentors, young adults (age 17-25) gain the knowledge, practical skills and confidence to become leaders in their communities. Thrive’s LEAD initiative is an extension of our ongoing commitment to focus on individuals’ abilities and give them opportunities to shine.
We are constantly adding new groups and experiences. Please visit our website at www.icanthrive.org/youth for up to date programming.
- After School Programs
- Self-Advocacy - Leadership
- Self-Advocacy - Life Skills
- Self-Advocacy - Recreation and Leisure
- Skills Training
- Socialization Activities
- Day/Work Activity
- Autism Spectrum
- Developmental Disability
- Intellectual Disabilities
- 3 - 4
- 5 - 8
- 9 - 13
- 14 - 18
- 19 - 22
- 23 – 59
- Accessible Parking
- Accessible Restrooms
- Fees: Free Service, Personal Funds
- Licensed By: DDS